Bronx, NY – Two Firefighters Injured in Three-Alarm Apartment Fire on Watson AveNY/NJ Legal News
Bronx, NY (August 8, 2023) – A structure fire caused injuries in the Soundview area of the Bronx on the afternoon of August 8. At approximately 2:00 p.m., emergency responders went to the scene of the incident on Watson Avenue.
Responders including fire crews and police were seen working at the crash site located in the 1400 block of Watson Avenue. Reports show a multi-dwelling building caught fire for reasons still under police investigation.
Firefighters said the top floor of the building caught fire and had to elevate the blaze for a third alarm. Two firemen were injured while battling the flames, sources said.
Paramedics rendered aid at the scene and transported those in need of further care to the hospital. Police in the Bronx continue to investigate the details of the accident.
We hope for the full recovery of those with injuries.
No further information has been reported at this time.
New York Structure Fires
Considering that about 80% of fire-related deaths in the United States take place in residential structures, it is clear that the prevention of residential fires is a huge public safety issue. The number one cause of deadly residential fires is the improper disposal of tobacco products, while cooking appliances, such as stoves and grills, are the number one cause of burn injuries in residential fires.
Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death in residential fires, not burn injuries as one might expect. Those who survive, however, often endure a significant amount of both. These injuries are exceptionally painful and expensive to treat.
Most burn injuries fall under one of three categories:
- 1st-degree burns: 1st-degree burns affect only the top layer of skin (epidermis), such as you get from sunburn or accidentally touching a hot stove. These burns typically take a few days to heal.
- 2nd-degree burns: These burns reach the second layer of skin (dermis). More serious than a 1st-degree burn, it may require skin grafts and result in permanent scarring.
- 3rd-degree burns: Burns of this magnitude ravage the third layer (hypodermis), causing the loss of not just the skin but also the sweat glands, hair follicles, and the stratum basale where new skin cells are formed.
Along with establishing the source of the fire, it is critical to determine if the action or inaction of another person or entity played a role in either the cause of the fire itself or a resident’s inability to flee the residence to safety.
Some of the main causes of house fires in New Jersey include:
- Defective appliances
- Obsolete or worn electrics
- Broken or incorrectly installed gas lines
- Obstructed chimney flues
- Faulty or broken furnaces or boilers
Contact our structure fire attorneys in the Bronx by calling (800) 469-6476 to see how we can help you.
If investigators are able to determine that an outside party was in fact negligent, an injured victim would have a valid claim against the liable party.