Motorcycle Accidents Attorneys in New Jersey & New York
If you’ve sustained injuries in a New Jersey or New York motorcycle accident that was caused by no fault of your own, contact the personal injury attorneys at Metro Law to explore your legal options.
Motorcycles make up a very small percentage of vehicles on roadways in both New York and New Jersey. However, they are involved in a significant number of auto accidents every year. In fact, riders are victims in roughly 15% of all fatal collisions. Tens of thousands of other riders are left with severe and life-altering injuries that require immediate medical care. Quite often, motorcycle accidents end in severe and permanently disabling injuries.
Motorcyclists who are harmed in accidents are often unaware of legal options available to them. Many riders are quick to accept settlement offers from insurance companies while thinking it is the only way to move forward. Should you be injured in a motorcycle accident in New York or New Jersey, it is crucial that you seek immediate legal guidance. A responsive New York motorcycle accident attorney can review your accident and determine the best legal options available for you moving forward.
Motorcycle accidents can be more complicated than other car accidents. Enlisting the help of an attorney with experience in these types of cases can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve. The Staten Island attorneys at Metro Law have represented many motorcycle injury clients successfully. We are committed to protecting the legal rights and best interests of our clients so they can move forward and reach their goals in recovering. Contact our motorcycle accident attorneys in New York and New Jersey at your earliest convenience to schedule a free case evaluation to see how our team can help you.
The Dangers Motorcyclists Face
When it comes to injuries for motorcyclists, statistics show that one out of every five motorcycle crashes results in head or neck injuries for riders. This can lead to huge, ongoing medical bills for which you will need compensation.
New York and New Jersey have reported some of the highest incidents of motorcycle fatality rates in the country. These accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Driver negligence: Drivers who engage in negligent actions while operating their vehicles place others at risk.
- Drunk driving: Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol are less likely to maintain control of their vehicles. As a result, they are likely to cause accidents that lead to devastating injuries for motorcyclists.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs: Drug use while operating a vehicle is as deadly as driving while under the influence of alcohol. Driving high can cause drivers to pass out, lose control of their vehicles, and experience delayed reaction times.
- Poor road conditions: When there are grass clippings on roadways, broken surfaces, and other poor road conditions, it can greatly impact a rider’s ability to maintain control over their vehicle.
- Speeding: Drivers who travel at high rates of speed are less likely to maintain control over their vehicles. Given the fact that motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles, drivers are less likely to notice them sharing the roadway while speeding.
- Running red lights/passing stop signs: Drivers who run red lights and pass stop signs are likely to cause serious accidents that end in injuries for motorcyclists.
- Driving while distracted: Texting, changing the radio, and engaging in other distracting actions while operating a vehicle can cause a driver to take their attention off the roadway.
- Failing to yield the right of way: Drivers who fail to yield the right of way to others are a leading cause of accidents at intersections. It is crucial that motorcyclists remain aware at all times to ensure they are safe while traveling in areas where drivers may engage in these reckless actions.
- Traffic congestion: Sudden and heavy congestion can cause drivers to crash into others. There are instances where people become more aggressive in stop-and-go traffic, which increases the risk of being involved in an accident.
- Motorcycle defects: When motorcyclists are defective and fail to function as intended, it can result in riders losing control of their vehicles. There are many defects that can lead to life-changing crashes.
- Door accidents: Quite often, motorcyclists are injured due to door accidents. These accidents take place when people park their vehicles and open their doors into moving lanes of traffic. Doors strike the riders and, in some cases, cause them to be ejected into the roadway.
- Overcompensating front brakes: There are many instances where motorcyclists are forced to brake suddenly. Whether there is an animal or object in the road, someone cuts in front of them, or another reason, it is crucial that they are able to respond in time. However, sometimes riders overcompensate their brakes, which can cause their vehicles to lift up and throw them over the handlebars.
- Lane splitting: When riders travel between two lanes or engage in lane splitting, it increases the chances of being severely harmed in an accident. This unsafe practice places riders at risk of being struck while in the blind spot of a vehicle.
- Failing to check blind spots: When drivers change their lanes without checking their blind spot, they place riders at increased risk of being harmed.
Inattentive automobile drivers present a great danger to motorcyclists, to say the least. The fact is that 80 percent of these accidents are clearly shown to be the fault of the automobile driver and not that of the motorcyclist. Motorcyclists face a far higher risk of involvement in an injury-causing crash, highlighting the need for a knowledgeable lawyer.
Common Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
Victims who are involved in motorcycle accidents are more likely to sustain injuries. In fact, nearly 78% of all motorcycle collisions result in injuries that require some extent of medical care. Although each accident is unique, the injuries that victims are left with are all too common.
Some injuries frequently sustained by Newark and Staten Island motorcycle accident victims include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Head injuries
- Bruises and contusions
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue injuries (sprains and strains)
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of limbs
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damages
- Posttraumatic stress disorder
- Spinal cord injuries
These and other severe injuries can have a debilitating impact on your life. In most cases, injured riders have to take extensive time off work to recover. Depending on the severity of injuries, victims may require months of therapy and rehabilitation following their accidents. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact our Staten Island personal injury law firm at your earliest convenience. You may have legal options available to help you hold wrongdoers accountable and recover compensation to alleviate the damages you face moving forward.
The Long-Term Effects of Motorcycle Collisions
People who are harmed in motorcycle collisions not only face immediate consequences but there are often long-term effects that they deal with as well. Given the vulnerability of riders during collisions, they are at a heightened risk of being left permanently disabled. Additionally, victims often deal with various long-term consequences, including:
- Diminished quality of life.
- The loss of income from being off work for an extended time, or indefinitely.
- Chronic pain from their injuries.
- Repair or replacement costs from their vehicles.
- Tens of thousands of dollars in medical expenses and long-term care costs.
Given the overwhelming immediate and long-term effects of motorcycle crashes, the last thing riders should have to worry about is getting justice for their injuries. For this reason, it is crucial that victims reach out to a responsive legal team as soon as possible. You may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate these and other financial burdens you face moving forward. Contact our Newark personal injury lawyers at Metro Law quickly to protect your legal rights. Our team will fight to get you the justice and compensation you truly deserve.
Recoverable Damages from a Motorcycle Accident in New Jersey
In addition to painful physical and emotional injuries, victims often deal with an array of financial consequences as well. Victims who are harmed in pedestrian accidents can expect to endure towering economic consequences related to:
- Assistive care and devices
- Lost wages
- Long-term care costs
- Medical expenses
Not only are victims overwhelmed by financial consequences, but they often face an array of non-economic consequences as well. Many victims experience:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurements
These and other damages can be recovered by victims in the form of compensation. Our team fights to help accident victims in New York and New Jersey get the justice they deserve for their accidents. Working with our knowledgeable Newark personal injury lawyers at Metro Law will ensure you are able to maximize your recoveries for these and other damages so you are in the best position possible to move forward following your crash.
Harmed as a Result of Motorcycle Defects
Motorcycle accidents are not always caused by the negligence of riders or other drivers sharing the road. In New York and New Jersey, we see many accidents take place due to defective parts and vehicle components. Riders are at an increased risk of being injured compared to travelers in passenger vehicles. When a person is using a motorcycle that is defective, the risks of having an accident and being injured are significantly increased.
There are various types of defects that can impact motorcycles. Some include:
Malfunctioning brakes: When brakes do not work correctly, riders are not able to stop their vehicles. In some cases, defective brakes pads lead to the loss of braking power.
Tire defects: Tire failure can lead to blowouts, which cause riders to lose control of their vehicles.
Jammed accelerators: There are instances where people are hurt in motorcycle accidents due to accelerator jams. This type of defect makes it impossible to control the speed of the vehicle.
Additionally, defects can occur in the handlebars, fuel tanks, and even the engines of motorcycles.
A defective product could easily ruin the freedom and excitement you feel riding your motorcycle. Not all cycles are created equal, as some are poorly designed and potentially hazardous. It is your right as a consumer to have a safe, efficient product. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a motorcycle defect, we have the experience with product injuries to properly represent you and hold the correct party responsible. Contact our Newark motorcycle accident lawyers at Metro Law as soon as possible to see how we can help you get justice.
Stand Up For Your Rights On The Road
Most people who are hurt in pedestrian accidents have never been involved in a civil court matter before. For this reason, most injured parties are unsure of what they can do moving forward. Victims are often quick to accept insurance settlements so they can tend to their immediate financial needs. Accepting a lowball settlement offer can negatively impact your ability to recover full and fair compensation in the future. Our team at Metro Law strongly encourages you to reach out to one of our knowledgeable Newark motorcycle accident attorneys as soon as possible. Our team can meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss the legal options available for you.
At Metro Law, we truly go the extra mile for our clients. We believe our experience, results and personal attention make us different from most other Staten Island attorneys. Victims who are injured in motorcycle accidents deserve justice. For this reason, our law firm works aggressively to help them get the maximum amount of compensation available to them. We provide legal representation that is effective and responsive. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact our New Jersey personal injury law firm today. Find out how we can help you by calling us at 973-721-9984 or contacting us online.