18 Wheeler Truck Accident Attorneys in Paterson, New Jersey
Every year, more than 60,000 people sustain injuries in motor vehicle accidents across New Jersey. These accidents often force victims into area hospitals where they have to undergo extensive medical treatment and testing. Countless victims injured in collisions are often left in excruciating pain that requires them to spend several weeks or even months out of work to recover. Unfortunately, accidents involving semi-trucks are more likely to result in catastrophic injuries. These vehicles are much larger than others sharing the road and can weigh up to 80,000 lbs, which can have a devastating impact on smaller vehicles in collisions.
In many cases, victims are seriously injured in collisions due to the negligent acts of others. When individuals are harmed in accidents, they are often approached by the at-fault’s insurance companies and offered minimal settlements. Numerous insurance companies make these offers to victims in the hopes that they will accept them and forego any legal battles in the future. These insulting offers are barely enough to cover the costs of repairing a vehicle, let alone alleviating any lost wages or medical expenses. Rather than accepting an offer from an insurance company, it is crucial for victims to contact a truck accident attorney in Paterson to protect their legal rights.
With over four decades of experience, our team at Metro Law has helped thousands of victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available for their claims. Our Paterson personal injury attorneys work diligently to review claims for victims, consult with and hire legal experts, and aggressively negotiate full and fair settlements that ensure they are able to cover the financial burdens resulting from their accidents.
Here to Help those in Need after a Trucking Accident in New Jersey
Every 16 minutes, one person is killed or injured in a semi-truck accident. Motor vehicle collisions involving large trucks are on the rise across New Jersey. When victims are harmed in these horrific accidents, it is crucial that they work with a truck accident attorney in Paterson who can fight on their behalf to ensure their best interest and legal rights are protected.
Metro Law represents clients who are seriously injured, as well as those who have lost a loved one, in a New Jersey truck accident. Our team is well-versed in handling even some of the most complex legal claims involving semi-truck accidents and collisions involving other commercial vehicles. We have extensive knowledge of both state and federal laws and regulations surrounding these accidents and we are dedicated to helping victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available for their claims.
Some of the services we provide in Paterson to accident victims include:
- Collecting Evidence: Our team will inspect the scene of the incident to take photos, record videos, and collect any surveillance footage that may be available. We will speak with law enforcement and gather police reports of the incident that provide critical details of the accident to show the actions leading up to the crash. Our team will interview witnesses and gather statements in support of a victim’s claim.
- Provide Supporting Documents and Information: In addition to gathering police reports, we will speak with medical professionals in charge of providing care for victims. Our team will collect all documents outlining medical treatment provided and various procedures a victim underwent for their injuries. These documents will help prove the amount of compensation needed to ensure victims are able to get the care they need to recover.
- Expert Witnesses: In some cases, we will hire expert witnesses who can re-create the scene of the accident to prove the defendant at-fault. When victims are forced out of work indefinitely, we will work with expert witnesses who can accurately calculate the total lost earning capacity a victim endures from their accident.
- Maintain Open Communication with Victims: We firmly believe that victims should be aware of what is happening with their claims throughout the entire legal process. For this reason, we maintain open and continual communication with victims to ensure they understand the steps being taken in their claim. Our truck accident attorneys in Paterson answer any questions victims have about their claims to ensure they know what to expect.
- Handling all Paperwork: Our personal injury attorneys understand the importance of filing documents and petitions within the statute of limitations. For this reason, we work diligently to ensure victims’ claims are filed on-time every time. Our keen attention to detail ensures we are able to file claims that help victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available to them.
- Preparing for Settlement: Whenever possible, we aggressively negotiate full and fair settlements on behalf of victims. This will ensure they are able to tend to their financial burdens and focus on recovering. If we are unable to come to a settlement agreement, our team will represent victims in a trial. Our proactive approach to handling claims ensures we are prepared to go to trial under any circumstance.
- Helping Victims Move Forward: Our team works diligently to ensure victims collect full and fair compensation for their legal claims. We understand the difficulties victims face after being involved in an accident. For this reason, we work diligently to ensure victims are able to get the compensation they need to repair or replace their vehicles in a timely manner. It is crucial for victims to have a method of transportation available for work, doctor appointments, and numerous other needs.
Our aggressive legal approach helps us ensure victims obtain the maximum amount of compensation and the justice they deserve for their accidents. Contact our truck accident attorneys in Paterson as soon as possible to get started with your claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Individuals can be harmed in truck accidents for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, a large percentage of collisions occur due to the reckless and negligent acts of others. When victims are harmed in these preventable accidents, it is crucial that they contact a truck accident attorney in Paterson to help ensure their legal rights are protected.
Our team at Metro Law has extensive experience helping victims harmed in truck accidents get the justice they deserve. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents in New Jersey include:
- Driver Negligence: Drivers who are careless while operating their vehicles are more likely to lose control. These drivers often cause serious accidents that result in life-altering injuries for victims.
- Speeding: Driving over the speed limit is dangerous for any vehicle. Trucks weighing in excess of 80,000 lbs can be lethal for everything they come in contact with. Speeding makes it more difficult for truck drivers to respond and stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Distracted Drivers: There are countless laws in place to prevent the use of cell phones and engaging in other distracting activities while behind the wheels of their vehicles. We continue to see countless drivers take their eyes off the road and cause devastating accidents, which could be easily avoided.
- Drowsy Driving: There are strict regulations in place that specify how long truck drivers are able to be on the road. Due to the time restrictions placed on truck drivers to get their loads to their destination, countless drivers ignore these regulations and spend extended periods on the road without rest. Individuals who are too tired often experience delayed reactions and have problems staying in their own lanes.
- Driving while Intoxicated: Truck drivers are required, by law, to maintain a blood-alcohol content level below 0.04%. Regrettably, there are numerous truck drivers who operate their vehicles while intoxicated. This can have disastrous consequences, especially considering over half of all motor vehicle accidents are caused by impaired drivers.
- Cargo Shifts/Spills: Loading companies are required to adhere to strict standards while loading trailers. They must ensure trailers are loaded properly, secured, and evenly distributed. Many loading companies try to load trailers overcapacity to increase profitability. Having too much inside a trailer can cause the load to shift or fall, resulting in the trailer shifting and possibly overturning causing devastating accidents and injuries.
- Vehicle Failures: When brakes malfunction or other mechanical systems fail, drivers and those sharing the road are likely to be seriously injured. Not having control over a vehicle, due to a mechanical error, can be devastating for everyone around, especially when an 80,000 pound truck in involved.
- Road Conditions: Inclement weather, broken roads, and other conditions can make it difficult for drivers to maintain control of their vehicles. Additionally, dark and unfamiliar roadways can have an overwhelming impact on a driver.
If you were injured in an accident, due to the reckless or negligent acts of another person, contact our truck accident attorneys in Paterson as soon as possible to explore legal options available for you.
Who is Liable for an 18 Wheeler Truck Accident?
When individuals are involved in motor vehicle accidents with semi-trucks, it is crucial that they contact a reputable truck accident attorney in Paterson as soon as possible. Truck drivers and companies are required to carry very large insurance policies, which make it more likely that victims will obtain full and fair compensation for their injuries and damages. Complicating matters when involved in a truck accident, there are several parties who can be held liable for injuries and damages incurred. Some of the parties who can be held liable for these accidents include:
- Truck Drivers: When drivers negligently operate their vehicles, they may be held liable. When drivers consume alcohol or drugs, drive while distracted, or engage in other reckless behaviors, they may be forced to cover the costs of injuries and damages they cause.
- Truck Companies: When companies neglect to provide proper training, fail to maintain their vehicles, ignore safety regulations, or engage in other reckless or negligent acts, they can be named as liable parties in legal claims.
- Truck Owners: When drivers do not own their trucks but lease from other companies, the truck owners can be held liable in accidents. The owner may have acted negligently in inspecting their vehicle and ensuring it is safe and reliable to use.
- Cargo Companies: When trucks are loaded carelessly, the cargo company can be held liable. It is crucial for cargo companies to load trailers responsibly. The negligence to do so can result in serious and life-altering accidents and injuries.
- Manufacturers: When individuals are harmed in accidents, due to defective or malfunctioning parts, the manufacturers can be held liable for resulting injuries and damages.
In some cases, several parties can be held liable for damages and have to pay compensation to the victims for various damages. When individuals are involved in semi-truck accidents, it is crucial that they contact a truck accident attorney in Paterson as soon as possible. Victims may be entitled to compensation to cover the costs of medical treatment, lost wages, and numerous other damages resulting from their accidents. Working with a reputable attorney from Metro Law will ensure those harmed get the justice and compensation they deserve.
Why Work with Metro Law
Being involved in a semi-truck collision can have a devastating impact on a victim’s life. This is especially true in cases where the victims are seriously injured. The enormous size and weight of these vehicles places the lives of others involved in collisions at serious risk for injury. Sadly, semi-truck collisions often result in catastrophic and life-altering injuries
When victims are harmed in truck collisions, they are often left to bear overwhelming mental, physical, and financial pain and suffering. Not only do victims suffer the devastating consequences, but their families are often forced to deal with the costs of medical treatment while trying to make up for lost wages. When victims are injured in truck accidents, due to the reckless or negligent acts of others, it is crucial that they contact a truck accident attorney in Paterson as soon as possible.
For over 40-years, our attorneys at Metro Law have fought aggressively on behalf of victims to ensure they get the justice and compensation they deserve. Our team will stop at nothing to help those that have been harmed move forward from their accidents in order to focus on recovery. If you were injured in an accident, by no fault of your own, contact our truck accident attorneys in Paterson at (973) 344-6587 to see how we can assist you.