New York Drunk Driving Accident StatisticsNY/NJ Legal News
The easiest way to recognize the pervasiveness and severity of the issue with drunk driving throughout the United States is to examine a few of the shocking statistics concerning accidents that were caused by drunk driving.
Drunk Driving Statistics for the State of New York
- In 2010, more than 1.4 million drivers were convicted of drunk driving in the United States.
- In 2011, 211 children were killed during accidents caused by drunk drivers. 131 of them were occupants of the same car as the intoxicated driver.
- Every day there is an average of 300,000 cases of drunk driving in America.
- Every day approximately 27 people die in drunk driving-related accidents.
- One person sustains injuries from a drunk driving accident every minute and a half.
- One in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related accident in their lifetime.
- In 2011, 9,878 people were killed in accidents caused by drunk drivers.
- One in three people convicted of driving under the influence is a repeat offender.
Drunk Driving Statistics for Underage Drinkers in the State of New York
Statistics concerning young adult or teenage drivers and drunk driving accidents are even more worrying than those of their of-age counterparts.
- Instances of driving under the influence are the highest in the 21 to 25-year-old age range (23.4 percent), closely followed by the 18 to 21-year-old age range (15.1 percent).
- People who start drinking when they are young are seven times more likely to be involved in a drunk driving accident.
- Car accidents are the number one cause of death among teens. 33 percent of all car accidents involving teens are the result of drunk driving.
- Teenage drinking is responsible for approximately 5,000 deaths every year. This is more than all illegal drugs combined.
In spite of a substantial reduction in the total number of deaths caused by drivers under the influence over the past few decades, the issue of drunk driving is still a huge concern for everybody who drives. Just one brief second of negligent behavior that is the result of driver intoxication can permanently impact the lives of the people on the road around you.
If you or a member of your family has been injured in a vehicle collision, the car accident attorneys here at Metro Law are able to help you. We have the experience and the tenacity that you will need on your side if you want to obtain the full amount of financial remuneration to which New York state law says you are entitled.
With a comprehensive understanding of the labyrinth that is New York’s legal system, our skilled personal injury attorneys understand exactly what needs to be done to reach a lucrative end to your case. We pride ourselves on our outstanding and distinguished reputations and the abundance of legal experience that we have acquired throughout our careers.
If you have recently been injured due to the negligence of another driver, then we strongly urge you to reach out to a qualified personal injury attorney by giving us a call at (800) 469-6476 and scheduling an appointment for a free case evaluation so that we can advise you on the best course of legal action for your situation.