Pedestrian AccidentsNY/NJ Legal News
Regardless of the number of laws in place to protect pedestrians, we continue to see an alarming number of victims injured in devastating motor vehicle accidents throughout New York and New Jersey. In countless instances, victims are forced into area hospitals where they have to undergo extensive treatment for their injuries. Many victims require emergency surgery and have to spend weeks or even months in recovery.
Although there are laws continually enacted to protect pedestrians, we can only expect to see an increase in the number of victims seriously injured. It is crucial to recognize why these incidents occur and what you can do to protect your legal rights should you become a victim yourself.
Why Pedestrian Accidents Happen
Drivers who fail to recognize their surroundings while behind the wheel can cause devastating accidents for pedestrians. Sadly, there are thousands of pedestrians injured annually in these horrific incidents throughout our area. There are countless reasons why these incidents continue to occur. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted Drivers: There are many laws in place to prevent drivers from utilizing cellphones. Sadly, we continue to see countless victims injured in accidents due to drivers being distracted. Eating, texting, and even changing the radio can result in devastating collisions.
- Improper Bike Lane Use: There are many instances where individuals drive their vehicles in bike lanes, causing horrific collisions for bicyclists and pedestrians. Drivers who fail to maintain their own lanes can cause major collisions.
- Quiet Vehicles: The push for battery operated means that a larger number of vehicles are operating at a whisper. Pedestrians who do not hear vehicles coming may hurry into the roadway without realizing the devastation which lies ahead.
- Unmarked Crosswalks: Pedestrians are able to cross roadways at any intersection, regardless of whether or not it’s designed by a crosswalk. Unfortunately, countless motorists fail to recognize who has the right of way in unmarked crosswalks.
- Wearing Dark Clothing: Dark hours of the day and dark clothing are not a good mix for protecting the lives of pedestrians. Unfortunately, the use of dark clothing on dark roadways can lead to devastating collisions.
- Poorly Marked Construction Zones: Construction zones that are improperly marked can be extremely confusing for both pedestrians and motorists. This can result in drivers traveling through recklessly and pedestrians walking in roadways to pass through.
No matter what the cause of your accident, it is crucial that you reach out to a pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible. Victims may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens they face after being harmed.
Metro Law Can Help You
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in New York or New Jersey, it is crucial that you contact our pedestrian accident attorneys at Metro Law as soon as possible. Our competent accident lawyers have dedicated over four decades to helping those harmed get the justice they deserve. Contact our law firm today at (800) 469-6476 to see how we can help you.