Personal Injury Checklist for New York Personal Injury ClaimsNY/NJ Legal News
In preparing for a personal injury claim with a successful outcome, there are some mistakes that are commonly made by those seeking legal representation. These common oversights are easy to avoid if you know what they are ahead of time and strive to keep on top of them for the duration of your lawsuit.
When filing a personal injury action, it is important that you follow the suggestions listed below.
Actions That Strengthen Your Claim
- Follow your doctor’s instructions. If you do not, the insurance company will argue that the extent of your health issues is not due to your injury but rather your failure to follow your doctor’s orders.
- Be as transparent as possible with your physician. Do not try to hide any of your pain or other symptoms such as aches, decreased mobility, nightmares, etc. The insurance carrier will simply argue that if the symptom was real you would have brought it up right away and therefore you must be lying.
- Be sure to get copies of all of your receipts or bills associated with any medical procedure, prescription medications, medical devices, and anything else you had no choice but to get after your accident. The same goes for any additional costs you incurred, such as a home health care aid or a nanny.
- Keep careful records concerning how much work you had to miss because of your injuries. Special documentation is required by the state for lost wage claims and guessing or making approximations will disqualify you from collecting on those damages. For those who are self-employed, you should still maintain as detailed of a log as possible of all the times you could not work and your personal injury attorney will decide the best way to establish your loss of income.
Actions That Weaken Your Claim:
- Never ever talk about your personal injury claim or provide a statement, written or spoken, to any insurance carrier or their employees, their adjusters, crash investigators, or the individual who is responsible for your injury. The only persons you should discuss your accident or your claim with are your family members, your personal injury attorney, and your physician.
- Never post any pictures or other information pertaining to your accident or your claim on any social media platform.
We are aware of the anxiety and trauma that victims are forced to cope with when they have been injured in an accident that was caused by the negligence of another person. The New York personal injury attorneys at Metro Law understand what you are going through. Our firm’s legal background includes successful outcomes to the multitudes of personal injury cases we have handled.
Years of experience have given us firsthand insight into the legal system. As a result, our superior attorneys can easily pinpoint the actions that must be taken to produce an effective New York personal injury case. We take great pride in our credibility and our hard-won reputations, as well as the immeasurable amount of skill and experience we developed that has allowed us to grow and improve as attorneys.
If someone else’s negligence caused your injury, then we sincerely advise you to get together with one of our diligent personal injury attorneys by making a quick call to (800) 469-6476 and arranging your first meeting which includes a free assessment of your New York personal injury claim. Once we know the details, we can advise you on which legal options will bring the most benefit to your case.