Wrongful Death Claims in New York and New Jersey
If you have lost a loved one in a preventable accident, get tin touch with a wrongful death attorney in New Jersey.
Could A Wrongful Death Claim Be A Good Choice?
Every year, thousands of people across the New York Metropolitan area lose their lives in accidents due to the negligence of others. These accidents often leave families to deal with overwhelming mental and emotional consequences. Losing a loved one because of another person or entity can be one of the most painful experiences in a person’s life. In many cases, families are forced to deal with tens of thousands of dollars in expenses related to medical care, funeral costs, and burial fees.
Following a fatal accident, families may not think immediately about legal action, choosing instead to focus on the grieving process. Pursuing legal action in the form of a wrongful death claim may be a wise decision though. Working with a wrongful death attorney in Newark can help to ensure your family is in the best position possible to hold wrongdoers accountable and get justice.
A lawyer from Metro Law can discuss with you the benefits of pursuing a wrongful death claim. We ease our clients through the process so they can focus on their emotional health while we handle legal matters.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death refers to a death that has been caused by the fault of another person — for example, deaths caused by drunk driving, medical malpractice or defective products. There are many instances where people lose their lives in accidents due to complete negligence. Wrongful death lawsuits or claims are generally filed by family members or beneficiaries.
In some cases, surviving relatives and other entitled parties are able to pursue legal options to get justice. Generally, families have a period of two years from the date of the death to file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault parties. These claims help bereaved families obtain compensation for various damages they face.
Damages that may be recovered include:
- Medical expenses: Our wrongful death attorneys at Metro Law help families obtain full and timely compensation to cover medical expenses for the decedent following their accident and up to the time of their passing. No family should be forced to deal with these unexpected costs, so we help to ensure they are not required to do so.
- Funeral expenses: Many families are unprepared to deal with the costs of funerals and burials. Our team helps our clients maximize their recoveries for these damages so they can pay their final respects to their loved ones without worry.
- Lost benefits: There are many instances where the passing of a loved one jeopardizes a family’s insurance coverage. In these cases, our team will help your family collect compensation needed to replace your family’s health insurance plans and other employer-provided benefits that your loved one received.
- Loss of inheritance: When victims pass away early, due to accidents, the value of inheritance may be lost. For this reason, we help families recover the loss of value of the inheritance.
- Pain and suffering: Victims who survive for any amount of time following their accidents experience pain and suffering. Our team can help your family maximize the amount of compensation you recover for their suffering.
- Your pain and suffering: In addition to recoverable damages from the victim’s pain and suffering, we strive to help recover the maximum amount of compensation for the pain and suffering of bereaved families.
- Mental anguish: If you have had to go through mental health treatment after experiencing the loss of a loved one, our team will help you recover compensation to cover the costs you face.
- Loss of companionship, care, or protection: The loss of a loved one can have a detrimental impact on the family structure. For this reason, our team is committed to helping families get compensation for the loss of companionship and the loss of familial relations.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are awarded by courts as a form of punishment toward wrongdoers. Our team strives to help claimants maximize the amount of punitive damages they are able to obtain.
If your loved one has lost their life in an accident, due to the negligence of another person, it is crucial that you act quickly to protect your legal rights. Although you have a two-year statute of limitations to pursue legal actions against at-fault parties, waiting can jeopardize your chances of presenting adequate evidence to get justice for your loved one.
Contact our New Jersey wrongful death lawyers at Metro Law as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.
Common Accidents Surrounding Wrongful Death Claims
Each year, thousands of people lose their lives in accidents in New York and New Jersey. In many instances, people lose their lives in these accidents due to the negligent or reckless actions of others.
When families lose loved ones in accidents, due to another party’s actions, they must act quickly to protect their legal rights. Working with a responsive and competent legal team can make an extraordinary difference when it comes to getting justice for your loved one.
For over 40-years, our New Jersey wrongful death lawyers at Metro Law have fought aggressively to protect the legal rights of grieving families who have lost loved ones in various types of accidents. Some of the accidents we commonly see surrounding wrongful death claims include:
- Car Accidents
- Train and Light Rail Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- School Bus Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Rideshare Accidents
- Defective Product Cases
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Premises Liability Cases
- Medical Malpractice
- Work Accidents
Our team is well-versed in handling even some of the most complex wrongful death claims for our clients. We stop at nothing to ensure grieving families are able to hold negligent parties accountable and get the justice they deserve. Contact our law firm in New Jersey at your earliest convenience to see how we can help you.
Proving Negligence in a Wrongful Death Claim
In order to prevail when filing a wrongful death claim following a death in New York or New Jersey, claimants must be able to prove that the defendant was negligent. In civil court, this involves proving that the four elements of negligence existed at the time of the accident.
The plaintiff tries to show that the defendant (the person supposedly at fault):
- Owed a legal duty of care to the decedent under the circumstances
- Failed to fulfill (“breached”) that legal duty through conduct or action (this can include a failure to act)
- Caused the accident leading to the death of the decedent
- The death resulted in damages to the plaintiff
Our team at Metro Law will meticulously review the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s accident. We will gather the strongest and most convincing evidence to show the defendant is at fault and stop at nothing to help you get justice.
We will fight to get you the justice you truly deserve after the loss of a loved one so you are able to cover funeral expenses, tend to your financial burdens, and move forward in the best way imaginable. Do not wait to get started on your case. Contact Metro Law’s wrongful death attorneys in New Jersey to see how we can help you.
Benefits of Working with a Wrongful Death Attorney
Families who endure the sudden and unexpected loss of a loved one are often overcome with extreme financial consequences. Trying to move forward through the grieving process is often made more challenging by the financial consequences and uncertainties they bring. The last thing you need to do is worry about protecting your legal rights. Instead, you can retain the guidance of a knowledgeable wrongful death attorney in New Jersey who can fight to ensure your legal rights are protected.
There are various benefits that working with a skilled legal team can provide you as you move forward. Some of the key benefits include:
You will receive experienced support. Not every law firm is equipped with the experience, knowledge, and dedication needed to handle wrongful death claims in our area. Our team at Metro Law has over four decades of experience helping bereaved families in New York and New Jersey protect their legal rights. Our lawyers will guide you through the legal claim process and provide you with knowledge and insight surrounding what to expect every step of the way.
Ensuring peace of mind. Dealing with the loss of a loved one due to a tragic accident is a highly emotional process. Our team understands the challenges that families face. For this reason, we provide each client we work with trusted and effective representation every step of the way. We take all of the legal work off of the hands of victims so they are able to focus on moving forward.
Investigating each accident. Our team is committed to gathering adequate evidence from the scene of the accident, working with experts, and taking various other steps to ensure our clients have the strongest cases imaginable. We gather documents from doctors and surgeons, collect police reports, speak with witnesses, and work aggressively to ensure no stone goes unturned.
Meeting deadlines and filing within the statute of limitations. Dealing with a loss can take some time. Unfortunately, the legal system provides no leeway when it comes to filing wrongful death claims. For this reason, our team provides responsive and aggressive representation to ensure all documents are filed accurately and on time so families can focus on their loved ones and heal.
Helping families collect. After putting together the strongest legal claim imaginable, our team will present evidence while aggressively negotiating full and timely compensation for our clients. We have decades of experience handling self-serving insurance companies. We are aware of the games they try to play when it comes to denying deserving families adequate compensation. If we are unable to come to a settlement agreement that accurately reflects your needs, we are prepared to represent you in court.
You do not have to move forward alone after losing a loved one in an accident. Our New York wrongful death lawyers will stand by your side every step of the way to ensure you get justice. We can meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss your case.
Ease Your Financial Worries
If your loved one has lost their life in an accident as a result of another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Filing a timely wrongful death claim against all at-fault parties can help you hold them accountable for their actions and get a sense of justice for your loved one. Retaining the guidance of a skilled New Jersey wrongful death lawyer will ensure you are able to utilize the best legal strategy imaginable to get you the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Our attorneys at Metro Law have the experience and skill to pursue a wrongful death claim to ease your financial stress while grieving. We are committed to helping bereaved families hold at-fault parties accountable so they can get justice for their loved one. Although monetary damages cannot replace the person, they do provide compensation for lost income and medical and funeral expenses.
If your loved one has lost their life in an accident, and negligence played a role, it is crucial that you retain the assistance of a skilled and trusted legal team who will advocate on your behalf every step of the way. We have a history of success representing clients throughout New Jersey and New York. To schedule a free consultation, call us toll-free at 973-721-9984 or email us. We are here to assist and support you during this trying time.