Wrongful Death Claims and New York Drunk Driving AccidentsNY/NJ Legal News
Drunk drivers are accountable for approximately 30 accident-related deaths throughout the United States each and every day. If a driver who was under the influence was the cause of your family member’s untimely death, you and the surviving members of your family are more than likely entitled to file a legal claim. We understand that bringing a claim of wrongful death against the at-fault motorist will not reset the clock on past events, it can provide you with the economic means to make ends meet and steady your family’s finances during this difficult time.
In the United States, financial penalties are the only real way the civil courts have of meting out justice for any type of death or other forms of personal injury.
Listed below are a couple of things that you should know pertaining to drunk drivers and wrongful death actions in the state of New York.
How is Fault for the Death Established?
In terms of accidents related to drivers who are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, the most powerful proof of liability typically involves two or more of the following:
- The outcome of any testing administered at the crash site
- A formal copy of the police accident report
- Any posts from social media accounts showing the at-fault driver’s actions in the time leading up to the accident
- Any video footage of the drunk driver taken before they decided to drive
- A tab or copies of receipts from any bars or restaurants that served the driver in the time leading up to the accident
What Damages Might Be Covered by a Wrongful Death Case?
In New York, qualified family members of the departed, usually the spouse, parents, siblings, or children, are entitled to seek financial compensation for:
- Hospital or other medical bills related to the victim’s injury
- Burial and funeral costs
- Damage to property
- Lost wages, pensions, and benefits
- Loss of consortium, protection, and care
- The victim’s pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma endured by the surviving family members
If you or a member of your family has been injured in a vehicle collision, the car accident attorneys here at Metro Law are able to help you. We have the experience and the tenacity that you will need on your side if you want to obtain the full amount of financial remuneration to which New York state law says you are entitled.
With a comprehensive understanding of the labyrinth that is New York’s legal system, our skilled personal injury attorneys understand exactly what needs to be done to reach a lucrative end to your case. We pride ourselves on our outstanding and distinguished reputations and the abundance of legal experience that we have acquired throughout our careers.
If you have recently been injured due to the negligence of another driver, then we strongly urge you to reach out to a qualified personal injury attorney by giving us a call at (800) 469-6476 and scheduling an appointment for a free case evaluation so that we can advise you on the best course of legal action for your situation.