18 Wheeler Truck Accident Attorney in Jersey City, New Jersey
Statistics show that more than 104,000 people are injured in truck accidents across New Jersey each year. These accidents often result in devastating injuries that require extensive medical treatment and often result in excruciating pain and suffering. In many cases, victims are forced out of work for several weeks or even months while having to spend thousands of dollars on medical treatment.
Unfortunately, many victims are injured in collisions as a result of another driver’s negligent and reckless actions. When victims are harmed by others, they are often approached by the insurance companies of the at-fault party and offer minimal settlement amounts for their injuries. These offers are barely enough to cover any damages, let alone the costs related to medical treatments and lost wages. Rather than accepting these offers, it is crucial that victims contact a truck accident lawyer in Jersey City as soon as possible to ensure their legal rights are protected.
Over the years, Metro Law’s truck accident law firm in Jersey City has helped thousands of victims harmed in accidents collect full and fair compensation for their claims. Our lawyers review claims for victims, consult with and hire expert witnesses whenever necessary, and take the necessary steps toward ensuring the legal rights of victims are protected. Contact our law firm today to see how we can assist you.
Why Truck Accidents are Complicated in Jersey City
Being involved in a semi-truck accident can be devastating and extremely complicated. For this reason, it is crucial to work with a skilled and experienced truck accident attorney in Jersey City who can help you get the maximum amount of compensation available for your claim. The size and weight of these vehicles mean accidents in which they are involved are more likely to result in catastrophic and life-altering injuries. In many cases, victims are required to undergo extensive medical treatment for their injuries.
Legal matters surrounding truck accidents are further complicated by the fact that many truck drivers are supported by large companies. These companies have multi-million dollar insurance providers which help victims obtain full compensation for injuries and damages resulting from a truck driver’s negligent or reckless acts. Truck accident claims can involve multiple parties, which can share liability for injuries and damages.
To make matters even more complicated, there are strict laws and regulations surrounding truck drivers and accidents, which require the knowledge of an experienced lawyer to help sort through them. If you were injured in a semi-truck accident, it is crucial that you contact a Jersey City truck accident law firm from Metro Law as soon as possible to ensure your legal rights are protected.
Common Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
Our Jersey City truck accident attorneys at Metro Law have over 40-years of experience helping victims. Throughout our experience helping victims harmed in collisions, we have noticed that certain negligent actions by other drivers commonly cause truck accidents that are devastating and painful. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents throughout New Jersey include:
- Driver Negligence: There are countless instances where drivers engage in negligent activities that have devastating results for others sharing the road. Drivers who disobey traffic control devices, drive recklessly, and those who do not pay attention to their surroundings are likely to cause accidents.
- Speeding: Speeding is dangerous for any sized vehicle. Unfortunately, semi-trucks speeding down the roadway take as much as 30% more time to stop than a smaller vehicle. As a result, these speeding vehicles weighing upwards of 80,000 pounds can cause devastating injuries when they collide with others. To make matters even worse, semi-trucks are difficult to stop under regular conditions. Going above the speed limit further complicates the situation.
- Distracted Drivers: Distracted drivers are one of the leading causes of motor vehicle accidents across our state. When drivers are eating, drinking, or using their cell phones while operating their vehicles, they take their eyes off the road ahead. An accident can occur in a split second, causing serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment.
- Drowsy Drivers: State and federal laws dictate that truck drivers are required to take several hours to rest between shifts. Unfortunately, drivers are bound by strict timelines for deliveries which can make it hard to adhere to the rules and regulations of the road. When drivers spend extended periods on the road, they are likely to experience drowsiness. Drivers who are drowsy are likely to have delayed reaction times and find it hard to keep their attention on the road at all times.
- Driving While Intoxicated: Although strict laws are enacted across all fifty states that prevent truck drivers from controlling their vehicles with a blood alcohol concentration level over 0.04%, we continually see people injured in our state due to drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. These accidents account for over 50% of all motor vehicle collisions and can be extremely devastating for victims.
- Cargo Shifts or Spills: Truck drivers are often put in charge of delivering products for companies. Trailers are often loaded by companies in an organized and secure manner. Unfortunately, there are countless instances where loaders rush through the task at hand. As a result, they fail to adequately balance the load on the vehicle. When trucks are not loaded correctly, the cargo can shift or spill. This can throw off the balance of the semi-truck and cause a rollover accident.
- Vehicle Failures: Semi-trucks are extremely heavy. In some cases, drivers experience brake failures, acceleration problems, and various other defects while driving. These failures can make it difficult for drivers to maintain control of their vehicles, which can result in disastrous collisions.
- Road Conditions: Inclement weather, unfamiliar roadways, and damaged road surfaces can make it difficult or impossible for drivers to remain in control of their vehicles. These circumstances can cause serious and devastating collisions. Engaging in reckless behaviors can make these dangerous situations even worse.
When victims are harmed in accidents, due to the negligent or reckless acts of others, it is crucial that they contact a truck accident lawyer in Jersey City as soon as possible to ensure their legal rights are protected. Our team at Metro Law is dedicated to going above and beyond to ensure victims are fully and fairly compensated for their injuries and damages.
Steps to Take After a Tractor Trailer Truck Crash in Jersey City
Being involved in a truck accident can be devastating. In many cases, victims are so overwhelmed with emotions and adrenalin, they fail to react appropriately to the circumstances. When victims are involved in these horrific collisions, it is crucial that they take the necessary steps toward ensuring their mental health, physical health, and legal rights are protected.
First, victims should seek immediate medical attention. In many cases, victims involved in truck accidents sustain severe and devastating injuries. Choosing to go without treatment can further complicate their health and wellbeing and cause further injuries. It is crucial that victims get medical attention as soon as possible as many injuries do not immediately present themselves.
It is crucial for victims to report the accident to the police. Victims will want to get a copy of the police report for their insurance companies as well as to help with their legal claims. Collect contact information for any witnesses at the scene. These individuals can provide statements that help bolster your claim for compensation. Take photographs of the scene of the incident. If your physical limitations prevent you from doing so, ask the responding officer to take photos of the scene, the vehicles, and other important factors.
Do not speak to anyone unnecessarily. You will want to refrain from claiming to be at fault for anything. Do not express any guilt for the accident as these actions can impact your ability to recover compensation in the future.
Contact your insurance company as soon as you can. Keep the conversation short and concise. Finally, contact a truck accident law firm in Jersey City to help you get the maximum amount of compensation available for your injuries and damages.
Damages Available After 18 Wheeler Truck Accidents
When victims are injured in truck accidents, they are often left to deal with overwhelming pain and suffering. In many cases, the mental and physical consequences are made worse by the financial burdens victims and their families endure. For this reason, our Jersey City truck accident attorneys at Metro Law work diligently to help those harmed collect the maximum amount of compensation available for their claims. Our knowledgeable lawyers work diligently to obtain compensation for various damages, including:
- Pain and Suffering: When victims are harmed in truck accidents, they often endure overwhelming mental and physical pain and suffering. These injuries often have a devastating impact on a victim’s life. In many cases, injuries prevent victims from being able to perform common tasks and engage in activities they enjoy.
- Lost Wages: Injured victims are often forced to undergo extensive medical treatment for their injuries. In many cases, they have to spend days or weeks in the hospital. Victims have to take time off work to attend doctor appointments and for various other reasons related to their injuries. Our law firm will work diligently to help victims recover the maximum amount of compensation available to encompass lost wages for victims.
- Lost Earning Capacity: When victims are forced out of work indefinitely, our attorneys assist them in collecting the maximum amount of compensation available for lost earning capacity. These awards are based on complex calculations that take into consideration a worker’s age, career, promotion potential, and various other factors. Our team at Metro Law works with financial experts who can accurately calculate the amount of compensation victims are due.
- Medical Treatment: Victims injured in semi-truck accidents are often forced to undergo extensive medical treatment. In many cases, victims have to spend time in the hospital, undergo surgery, and endure months of therapy. Our truck accident attorneys in Jersey City work diligently to help victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available for all past, current, and future medical treatment for their injuries.
- Property Damages: When victims are involved in semi-truck accidents, their vehicles are often damaged extensively. Our team at Metro Law works diligently to help victims get the maximum amount of compensation available to repair or replace their vehicles as quickly as possible. This will allow a victim to regain some sense of normalcy after their accidents.
- Punitive Damages: When victims are harmed in accidents as the result of another driver’s extreme negligence or intentionally reckless actions, we assist them in petitioning the court for the maximum amount of compensation available for punitive damages. These awards are awarded as a punishment to the wrongdoers as a deterrent to future egregious behavior.
If you were injured in a truck accident, it is crucial that you contact a skilled truck accident attorney in Jersey City as soon as possible to protect your legal rights. Our lawyers at Metro Law are dedicated to helping victims get the maximum amount of compensation for their legal claims.
Why Work With Metro Law
Being injured in a semi-truck accident can be disastrous. The size and weight of the tractor-trailers indicate victims involved in collisions are more likely to incur life-altering and catastrophic injuries. Semi-truck collisions often result in overwhelming pain and suffering – mentally, physically, and financially. When victims are harmed in truck accidents, due to the negligent acts of others, it is imperative that they contact a truck accident lawyer in Jersey City to ensure their legal rights are protected.
Our attorneys at Metro Law have over 40-years of experience fighting on behalf of accident victims to ensure they are fully and fairly compensated for the injuries and damages resulting from a truck accident. Our lawyers understand the devastating impacts these collisions can have on the lives of victims, which is why we work diligently to ensure they are able to recover in the best way possible. If you were injured in a truck accident, due to the actions of another driver, contact our truck accident attorneys in Jersey City at (973) 344-6587 to explore legal options available for you. Schedule a free case evaluation as soon as possible so we can begin reviewing the circumstances surrounding your accident to determine the best legal route available to ensure you get the outcome you deserve for your claim.